Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Personally...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Andy Kidd on August 17, 2002 03:33:58 UTC

i would probably allow for the 1" in and 1/2" out or split it 50/50 as you can always get [or make] a 2" extension tube if you run out of out travel?

If you're trying to get by w/ the smallest secondary you can my suggestion may not be applicable but i think a movement of 1/2" or so of where the focal plane sits would make less difference to the elliptical than the eyepiece [if, that is, you can't get your eyepiece in the right place. On the eyepieces i use it seems the difference between 'in-focus' and full O-O-F diffraction rings is only about 1 turn on my helical focuser or about 1/16" (going by the thread pitch) so if you can't get your eyepiece in (or out, for that matter) that last 1/16" you'll be S-O-O-L].

What you might want to try if you're concerned about exact placement for secondary 'efficiency' is make some kind of 'focuser board' assembly that wil allow you to 'tweak' the placement of your focuser during your final testing stages [provided your spider has some 'stick-out' range to it] so you can have the focuser placement 'optimized' for the eyepieces you'll be using with it. Just one of my hair-brained suggestions...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins