Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
19mm * 10 Inch Mirror

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ian McKernan on August 8, 2002 05:18:41 UTC

Hi! My current obsession is polishing a 10 inch mirror out of 19mm plate glass. Its actually a bit thinner than that now since i ground a lot of glass off ( i made a few stuff ups ) by overshooting sagitta and taking out some scratches. Im going to make a 9 point cell for it.Overall it seems to have gone pretty well as a project.

One of the other guys in our group is doing a 5 inch out of the same stuff and he trepanned out his own blank from a small slab using a homemade cutter in a drill press with lots of 80 grit. 19mm is about the thickest plate i could from a local window maker, and after a lot of shopping around it cost about 40% of what a pyrex blank would have. It grinds and polishes faster than pyrex, and didn't have the cast in ripples and bumps that some of the other group members full thickness (50mm) 10" pyrex blanks did. Also, not having to grind the back flat means i can easily see through the back which makes finding pits/scratches and checking the contact on the tool easier.

The problems ive had have all been to do with me learning the techniques and repairing my own mistakes, not with the glass thickness, although i have been carefull to keep things turning to try and avoid astigmatism.

Have fun!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins