Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
2" Focuser On A 6" Telescope?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Jeff on May 23, 2002 08:45:54 UTC

Hello,
I am totally new to ATM,but I am thinking about building a 6" f/5 dob with commercial optics(looking at Discovery for the mirrors).It will be my quick/portable scope.I already have a larger scope and some eyepieces including one 2" Panoptic(27mm).The field of view with my Panoptic looks nice on paper with this telescope configuration BUT.......
I am wondering if a 2" focuser is overkill on this small of a telescope.I mean would 2" eyepieces have alot of vignetting?How could the light from a smaller than 2" secondary fill a 2" eyepiece?
I am leaning towards a 2" crayford or helical...largely because I have not found any 1.25" focusers that are as low profile as the 2" focusers I have been looking at.(I'm looking at the MoonLite crayford focusers or the helicals by Gary Wolanski and would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used these products).
thanks,
Jeff

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins