Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thin Plate Glass

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ian McKernan on May 11, 2002 06:46:41 UTC

Hiyah Ivan. Im making a mirror at the moment and have wound up using 19mm thick plate for a 250mm (10") mirror. Grinds out a LOT faster than pyrex. People tell me thats on the thin side, but if i pay attention to keeping everything turned around often during the grinding i should get a decent mirror out of it and avoid astigmatism. The telescope i bought 12 months ago has an 8" mirror made out of 19mm plate and that is a really usefull little beast. A guy at a glass supplier i spoke to a few months ago said he sells a bit of 15mm to people doing 6" mirrors.
Hey, im new at this too, but i think that if 15mm was all i could get i have ago at an 8" with it. Dont know much about the grinding powder issue. The grits have to be REALLY consistent size / clean!! One piece of #80 sized contamination in what you think is #400 can ruin can ruin a lot of work by scratching it. Our group got their grits from a lapidary (rock/gemstone polishing) supplier.
Anyhow, have fun with it however you go.
Seeyahs!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins