Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Cast Tools

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Ian McKernan on April 21, 2002 15:18:31 UTC

Hiyah All! Ive finally given up on the cast, steel covered tool i made. It seemed to be giving me a funny shape when i tried to correct for hacking the hole out way too deep. I'm not ready to try and do a mirror at less than f5 yet! Anyhow, ive made up a tile tool to continue with, and spent 2 and a half hours wearing that in this weekend.
I'd like to revisit the concept though and i have a second blank that ive already hacked out to some kind of curve. I think the problem was that i just didnt get the cast tool a good enough shape, and then covering it in steel meant that it wasn't going to be able to wear into shape very well. Getting the curve on the tool wrong meant the sagitta was getting down to 3.1-3.2mm when i was after 2.6mm. Ive got 2.7mm on it now at the end of #80 grit ( i hope), and i figure on using the tool on top for the next couple of stages so if anything it should go shallower.
What i plan on is to cast two tools when i get to the stage of making something to carry the pitch lap. I'll cover one of these with washer dumps and use this to finish that second mirror.
Anyhow, any comments appreciated, and thanks for the replies to my previous posts.

Seeyahs!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins