Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Baffles For A Refractor OTA

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David Sinden/">David Sinden on September 3, 1998 15:57:40 UTC

Hello Mark, For any reasonable size refractor - say 4" aperture or 5" aperture, I think that maybe 3 or 4 baffles are all that is required. I would put them roughly equally spaced along the length of the telescope tube. A good way to understand the arrangement is simply to draw the whole thing out full size,on a large piece of paper (wallpaper works well). The diameters of the baffles can be calculated easily or just take them from your drawing,directly. If you imagine lines drawn from the outer edge of the objective lens, to the outer edge of the largest eyepiece you want to use , then that should work. To check that the baffles are not too small- look through the telescope from the objective end. It must be possible to see every part of the eyepiece lens from every part of the object glass. If in doubt, let me have the details of your system and I will sort out the dimensions for you. I have made many refractors and I usually make the baffles out of wood or thin aluminium. Are you making your own lens? Let me know if I can help. My E.Mail is soc@onyxnet.co.uk Best of luck with your project. Regards, David. (England)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins