Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Non-vacuum Coating

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Steve Campbell on January 20, 2002 11:24:19 UTC

Ok, i have too much time on my hands right now
so i will talk about a very interesting idea, some
time ago i ran across an interesting article about
Nikola Tesla, he discussed a phenomena known as
"damped waves" and described an experiment conducted early in the 20th century, from memory
goes something like this: i placed a piece of tinfoil on a stick and inserted it into a coil driven by thousands of horsepower, the tinfoil would evaporate "instantly",at the time i was
so foolish i even stuck my head in that coil and was not hurt,but i wouldnt do that again!
if this is true, this may actually be a new way
of depositing a metal coating on a glass surface
without requiring high vacuum.
the normal process of coarse involves high vacuum, the evaporated aluminum atoms in a normal
atmosphere produce charge clusters which in turn produce a rough and un-evenly deposited surface coating which could be several atoms thickness.
a very rapid or "instantaneous" evaporation of
metal could "in theory" produce results comparable to high vacua deposition, or used in
conjunction with partial vacuum.
if you do any experimenting with this concept please share your results with me and others!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins