Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
8-10"..12" Maybe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on January 18, 2002 00:26:37 UTC

Depending on the size of your car or truck, you can safely transport a 8" easily. I carry my 10" f/5 with no problem. It's total weight with base and OTA is 48 lbs. So carrying each component is easy...for me anyway.

12" scopes are in my opinion the "edge" of easy portability. Some are easy, some are not. Truss types can be easily broke down and transported then reassembled, then again some aren't. I once transported my old 13.1" (tube) in my car. Barely fit. Setting up was OK, but sometimes handling big "fragile" objects in the dark can be "tricky". I would say 8" to 10" scopes are the most reasonable without too much effort. Just start eating spinich and do alot of pushups for those bigger scopes.

I one setup a C-14...they are big buggers (SCT)

Should have had someone make a video of me doing this...I would have titled it "What not to do with large cumbersome heavy expensive telescopes in the dark by yourself"....not a pretty sight. Never did that solo again let me tall ya..

Good luck!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins