Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thin Plate Glass Mirror Question...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by David Gede on January 6, 2002 17:36:05 UTC

Please be gentle, I am very new to this topic. I have been reading several threads in this newsgroup about mirror grinding. I never thought about it before but with all the encourgement found here, I might try it.

Over the last several weeks I have been reading all that I can get my hands on about the type of glass to use. Most recommend using pyrex. I would like to, but my goal is to work up to a 16" mirror, and the cost becomes a little too much.

In an earlier thread, I found a reference to a gentleman selling surplus army glass cut into rounds. The glass looks to be of good quality but is only 7/8" thick. The price is certainly right and he provides supplies and insturctions for grinding, polishing and figuring.

Now here is the question. I live in Maryland and deal with 90 degrees in the summer and routinely deal with 20 degrees in the winter. What effects can I expect with a very thin plate glass mirror, in a truss tube newtonian? Will I simply struggle on any night that the temperature is not perfect?

Just as a clarification, I am going to start with a 6" or 8" blank to make sure I can (and want to do my 16 myself).

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Gede

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins