Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
1800mm Minimum, What Would Be Best Lenght?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Marty on December 12, 2001 13:24:53 UTC

I really don't know what dark skies are. I have nothing to compare them too. I live in the country but within 10 miles of a small town. I can make out the Milky Way on most nights. I can make out the Andromeda Galaxy naked eye. So going with large apeture and observing deep sky objects would not be as benificial as a planatary scope. Right? I get the feeling that a big apeture will hurt you with the sky glow.

So what would be a good focal length for my scope. Yes 400x is what I was shooting for an ep around 4.5mm. I am also trying not to climb any ladders. That looks like a major hassle. I would be willing to take a step or two but not all the way up and down. How about 2400mm with a 6mm ep. 6mm would be more comfortable with my glasses. I guess I would fork out a little dough for the TV eye pieces or something with a wide angle and long eye relief. I guess the tube would be somewhere around 7'. Thats not to many steps.

What do you guys think?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins