Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Dob Design Dilema

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jarvis Krumbein on November 20, 2001 18:53:34 UTC

Hi Matt,
I read yur post with interest. You are not going to be able to do what you propose with only a 2" diagonal. At a minimum you will need a 2 5/8" to get the focal plain wgere you want it. This Assumes a 12" diameter tube and the focal plane approximately 120mm out from the wall of the tube. If you redraw your your layout and take into account a focal plane diameter of 1" you will see where the trouble is. You need to draw in the light path from each edge of the focal plane. This 1" diameter focal plane is about what you would want for photography with a 35mm film format. this circle will be 100%illuminated with some falloff outside the 1" circle. Redraw and see what I mean. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at jkoptic@juno.com

JK

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins