Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Solution

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Colin Kaminski on November 9, 2001 04:04:24 UTC

Thank you for your help! I am always afraid of my mirrors. Finding out it was a hole reinforcer was a big help. Also finding I could use other solvents than water was a big help.

I soaked it in distilled water with no results. Then I soaked it in solvent grade alcohol still with no results. Then I soaked it in lacquer thinner and found it softened slightly. I noticed there seemed to be a clear film on top of the circle. (This is the scary part! I have been a string intrument maker professionally for 14 years and have acquired a great deal of hand skills.) I took a brand new razor blade and carefully parted off the clear circle. I was very careful not to touch the mirror with either edge of the razor blade or my hands. Once the plastic cover was off the lacquer thinner turned the rest into jelly in a matter of a few seconds. I was able to pick off the remains with a q-tip. I then washed the mirror in lots of distilled water and blew it dry with dried air.

End result A-. I can still tell a little where the ring was but it does not show in my image.

Thank you again.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins