Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Sleeks

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Walter Hamler on October 26, 2001 21:19:20 UTC

It seems several of us have had similiar problems in this general area lately. The last mirror I completed was a plate glass 8" that gave me headaches with the 5 micron. Sleeks and scratches. It appears that I has a contamination problem because of an unseen void in my dental stone tool. It was holding some old grit, probably as large as 500 or even 320, that caused the scratches. I finally went back to the 500, then the 12 micron and the 5 again. The last time it worked fine and polishing was uneventful. If you are using some form of tool with hex type tiles, I would suggest looking REAL close for some spot that could be holding grit. I doubt that the pits you are seeing are from the 12 micron, but rather leftover from larger grits that aren't quite ground out yet. To answer your question though, you could polish from the 12, it would just take a little longer, maybe another hour or so. Not much when compared to the total time invested!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins