Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Cost Effectivness??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Walter Hamler on October 25, 2001 22:18:38 UTC

Recently I pursued the possibility of building a 5 or 6 inch refractor with a kit from Newport Glass. Ultimately I decided that I would probably end up spending twice what the cost of a new Synta or equivalent 6" OTA would cost. Personally I would rather have a refractor of an f/12 or even f/15, but I just can't seem to justify the many hours of work that would be necessary to make one myself. Not to mention the absolute necessity of an accurate spherometer, whick would add another couple hundred to the cost! What I really need is a time machine to allow me to go back the the Jaegers heyday and get one of their 6" f/15 lens set in a cell for under 400.00. Some of them produced some darn good images!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins