Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Testing

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on October 17, 2001 18:31:57 UTC

Assuming that you now have a polish on all of your mirror, you do the test dry.
I live in a hard water area so I'm familiar with the problems. I take and dry the mirror with a paper towel and test from there. Occasionally, I will do a single pass of a damp mirror with the backside of my forearm but that is kind of risky if you've dirty in that area. If you are sure that your arms are clean it's not risky to dry this way. Don't forget to test at the ROC and that the shadow goes the same way as the KE when you're inside and vice versa when you're outside of the ROC.
Don't bother to test until you have the mirror fully polished out and don't use long strokes for polishing unless you like to spend a lot of time getting to the edge as the mirror is still getting a shorter radius even though you are polishing - whichever is on top is always going concave!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins