Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
200" Refractor

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on August 26, 2001 20:00:05 UTC

The scope is an approximatly 200" FL refractor of approx. 4.25" aperture. I usually consider it to be a F45 as the two pieces of glass used to make the singlet objective are F90 (the two pieces of planoconvex BK7 are glued together back to back) so it's about F45.
The EPs are all 3" diameter and of FLs from 8" to 2/3". I also have an adapter so that I can uses Al Nagler's little EPs if so desired. I have done so on one occasion and found that the EP gives better eye relief than the higher power EPs in my stock but the image wasn't that much better that I could readily detect. Several other viewers commented the same. All of the EPs are of the basic 1-2-3 Huygen's design with small variations due to the lenses that I had available.
The wood is mostly cherry with some walnut used. The big consession to the modern era is the small lazy susan bearing in the sheave so that the top of the post, containing the pully, will rotate as I move about. Also the scope was built to be torn down into short pieces (6' max.) so that the whole thing fits into my '52 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I also have a solar filter for a Meade 2045 that does excellent work on dimming the light for viewing the sun. It fits very nicely inside the dew shield (the last section of the scope's tube).

I'd like to have any addresses where my scope appears and you can send them to my e-mail address of bobmay@nethere.com as the best place to send the address. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins