Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No Way!!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Walter Hamler on August 6, 2001 21:06:39 UTC

I've never made a cement tool, and from what I know of cement, it would not be a good choice. I'm not convinced it would be stable, don't think it would hold the tiles as well(it shrinks a lot when curing!), and it would most definitely have to be sealed COMPLETELY, and that would be difficult to do and be absolutely sure you did as it is so porous!! Get the idea I don't like cement in this usage environment!
As for dental stone (not necessarily plaster), I have made 10 myself just this year, and have never had a problem either making them or using them. I did get some fime scratches once, but was because I got sloppy in cleaning up between grits!! I bought the dental stone from a local dentist. He ordered it an I paid for it when it arrived. 25.00 for a large cube that I still have about half left. Pretty cheap. It's very stable, cures FAST, and it almost poreless. And it holds the tile like epoxy.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins