Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Battery Power Pack

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on August 10, 1998 14:04:48 UTC

: I saw a web site the other day on how to make a car battery into a plug in outlet for a telescope. I have a barndoor drive that I need a power source for and I would like to build one but do not know how. Simple problem! Go down to Radio Shack and get the Female Jacks for the Lighter plugs. They have single outlets and triple outlets available. The best thing is to get a box or make a wood one for the battery and place the outlets on the box surface. It would be best to put one of the inline fuses into the positive line of the battery to the connectors and voila! you have it! This is a great project for the beginner and you don't have to use a big auto battery if you are driving something like a LX200 scope. A small motorcycle battery will work for more than long enough for a weekend as several of those in my club have done. The put the motorcycle battery in a old 6pack sized cooler and put several jacks on the side and also put some foam inside so the battery doesn't fall over or bang against the jacks or switch (one of them installed a switch which he has said ended up being useless) when the cooler is being transported. If you are doing a CCD camera, check for the power consumption of the camera (and computer) and size the battery accordingly, remembering that the bigger the battery, the more often you will want to leave it behind! Bob May

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins