Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Few Rookie Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Bill Wetterau on March 29, 2001 01:16:38 UTC

I'm attempting to build my first scope from the sidewalk astronomer plans (8" f/6), and have a few hopefully not too foolish questions.

The primary mirror mounting scheme in the plans looks iffy to me, the idea of relying on nailheads to keep the mirror from rolling out of the tube scares me. Woud it be OK to loosely inset the mirror into a pocket routed into a backing board and loosely hold it down with some small clips?

Where should the focal point of the system be? I understand that the diagonal sends it toward the focuser tube, but should the point be somewhere up in the focuser tube, or right where the focuser tube meets the main tube?

How accurate can I expect the advertised focal length of a purchased mirror set to be? I ordered it from Scopes-Online?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins