Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: Re: Barnesite

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on January 26, 2001 02:22:48 UTC

Any polishing compound is dangerous to breath. It should always be kept wet or in a container. Polishing compunds and any grinding splashes should be wetted and wiped up. No Vacuuming, blowing or sweeping. The fine glass from grinding and polishing is deadly and has killed many opticians that were not clued in.

The collected dust and used grits should be stored wet then fused in a kiln when handled in quantity.

I cannot relate Barnesite to Cerium Oxide. Red Rouge is a better finish polisher than Cerium Oxide. Barnsite was both faster and finer than either. I used Barnesite on my 22" back in '79.

Forget Milling the rouge. You are never going to produce the same quality as micro milled or electro formed rouge. Final grading of rouge is done by mixing rouge in water and decanting the water mix after so many hours and days. The mixture should be kept in a cool dark place to avoid thermal mixing. Actually if your pitch is properly tempered you will not need any rouge finer than about four hours and decanting the top half. All rouge should be water graded because you can get some clumping. The clump may break up as in a mill but the clump may also hide a larger particle that can scratch. Trying to mill the rouge yourself will not likely reduce the occasional large grit.

Good Luck,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins