Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Apodising Screens

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on January 15, 2001 21:12:21 UTC

Arthur Leonard of Yolo fame was a fan of apodizing masks. Some of the best planetary images I have ever seen where produced by his Yolo with and without an Apodmask.

I discovered by accident at 14, that I could place window screen over my scope and get a great improvement of planetary images at times. Nothing seemed to beat a clear aperture and steady, dry & cool 40°f air. But when low on the horizon or after a hot day, it seemed to help a lot. One could also see the spectra. The screen made the diffractions spread out and the light closest to the planet or star was well beyond visible so there was an intensly dark area around the object whereas the diffraction from the spiders crossed the object.

Cheers,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins