Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Tony Kight..do You Still Have Tubes????

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on December 15, 2000 02:40:51 UTC

Cheap 6" tube is available from your local nome builders store. Ask for concrete form tubes. If you go to someplace like HomeClub the length may be just what you need while the real construction supply may have them in 20' lengths. This tube is a spiral wound cardbord of fair thickness and you do need to paint it to insure that it doesn't melt from the dew. Flat black inside and something pleasant outside (a starfield is always popular). When you do the assembly, start with the longer tube and put the secondary stuff on first and then put the primary mirror in at a nice focus position. I suggest that you use the shorted FL EP that you can get (4mm is always nice) and set it near the bottom of the focuser's travel. Hopefully, all of the other EPs will be further out and the longest won't want to be too far out - I use the Celestron 40mm (useless EP otherwise) as the far end and is usually set as just beyond the end of travel of the focuser tube.
Have fun! BTW, if you have somebody that has a lathe and mill, you can get them to make you a nice Crayford focuser for very cheap! Go look on the web for the various versions of the design. I have also seen Crayfords built without the need for the above by using wood for the frame to hold the bearings and an undersink trap part for the tube.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins