Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Geometry Of Evacuated Membranes

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tom Leech on October 29, 2000 04:44:23 UTC

hi robert, finally found my way into the log in maze. i would like to make a correction to your entry. you stated that the curve would be a catenoid (catenary) which it would be if the forces acting on the surface were all in the same direction alnog the axis of the drum head. however, as the drum is evacuated, the surface takes a curve, and the atmospheric pressure outside the drum head acts perpendicular to the drumhead surface at each point on the surface. the outside if the drumhead is in effect a very small sector of a very large sphere (baloon) in effect. ie, the evenly distributed forces on the drumhead are no longer parallel to each other, but all point to a common radial center. anyway. the difference between the two (catenary/spherical) only become large for large curvature. the difference between a long focus sphere and a porabola is very tiny also, but what a difference it makes when one is talking in wave lengths of light. this thought that the guy had was important because it has been the genisis of such technology as celestrons correctors for their sct's and the warping harnesses of off axis telescope secondaries, and elastically deflected primary mirrors both during figuring, and the parabolization of spherical mirrors as was recently reported on in s&t. i cant seem to keep my notes short, tom leech

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins