Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: How Do I Find The Correct Mirror Distances

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on October 23, 2000 23:47:49 UTC

Well Bob I was wondering when one of these days I'd disagree with you on something. I could bet that you may have built more scope than I have, so I won't debate that part. Concerning the cell is good advice however. But from making tube type scopes I learned the hard way when making my first scope was that putting in the focuser first was a biiiig mistake. I have to remove it becasue them my mirror cell had to go back 2 inches and I ran out of tube! Anyway diagraming the scope first on paper and triple checking the math is essential as I'm sure you'd agree. The primary to me is the important part of the scope and I usually build the cell first and fit it into the tube and secure it the best way possible. Providing the tube is the right length and you have room to calculate the distance from the face to the secondary center. Of the 7 scopes I built I have always cut the focuser out last. Granted, the cell could be moved marginally if the correction isn't too severe. Well I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. Oh well, live and learn I usually say......Clear skies!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins