Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Flexing A Sphere Into A Parabola

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Marc on October 5, 2000 16:55:52 UTC

Pete,

I read the article...

Some mirror makers on this forum have years of experience and have produced a pile of mirrors
without having to warp them. That`s fine. But what about the beginner who only wants 1 mirror and does not want to spend years (owing to time, cost, etc) perfecting their glass pushing skills by making more than 1 mirror?

I have seen a number of beginner mirror makers produce a nice smooth sphere and then turn it into a poor surface and call it done ("I worked this mirror long enough" is a common excuse) because they had limited skills with figuring strokes and testing. If the maker had just left the surface spherical and used the technique described in the article, the scope would have certainly performed better. Testing for a sphere is easy compared to a parabola and no complex testing equipment/skills are required. A very simple Ronchi tester is all that’s needed.

If you are a beginner mirror maker and have polished a mirror to a nice sphere and don’t think
you can or want to parabolize it, I would explore this option further. If it doesn’t work, you can
always remove the backing.

Marc

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins