Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Virgin

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on May 18, 1998 19:20:35 UTC

Here's what you do. Get a catalog from Willmann-Bell (they're on the Net) and then get one of the books on mirror grinding and read it through. You will find that the biggest problem is the flexibility of the process and how crude it seems to be. They also sell kits for mirrors and that price plus about $50 for Aluminizing the mirror and a lot of time and a few other things (tools that you will build to test the mirror) will be your cost. Fast workers have (!) made mirrors in a single day but for your first mirror (8") I would say that about 50 hours is more like it depending upon your finessing of the testing. Get the book first and see if it is what you want to do. There are no expensive tools to buy to make a mirror. A Focault tester is usually homemade and like everything else about the business of optics, there is a lot of dispute as to what type is the best. Take everybody's advice (including mine) with a Big grain of Salt and everything will probably turn out fine. If you haven't planned to go to Riverside Telescope Maker's Conference, May I suggest that you still go up there at least for Saturday. It is located at Camp Oakes (which is in the little suburb of Lake Williams just about 5 miles out of the East? (the other end from the Dam) out 38? (the road that takes you down to I10). There will probably be a demo on mirror grinding and you will probably find me there at some point in time. Bob May

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins