Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Why Not Teflon!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on September 21, 2000 16:02:17 UTC

Hi Tom:

Wow! a teflon toilet seat. That must have cost a small fortune... While I have never seen a teflon toilet seat I have seen and made bushings for telescopes using teflon and most mushed out just like I said. Some of those I replaced with Polypropylene which has a higher dimensional stability. Used as john did the teflon shoul work well although I just read a posting where one "Dob" owner was having the teflon pads "wearing" or "squishing" down until the retaining bolts were wearing against the formica.

Having tried the dry lubricants I can also say that they work for a time then mess up the plastic bushing. As the solvent media softens the nylon, the particles embed into the plastic. The very small and very hard particle that once acted like minature bearings then act like abrasives. The plastic manufacturors recommend white petroleum jelly (Vaseline) for Nylon and generic by other names.

We are talking about a GEM mount aren` we? In which case the better and most probably least costly permanent fix is to go to Oilite or Brass Bushings. It may be that this can be done with stock sizes and no machining. The best fix would be the bearings I mentioned.

About 1969, when you were meeting john dobson, I was welding the fork mounting for my 12 1/2" Newtonian, my umpteenth telescope project. All of the aspects of my suggestions here come from first hand experience not theory. I am not anti-teflon, I just know where in a scope it will work and where in a scope it will not.

Cheers,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins