Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tom?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brett Wood on September 14, 2000 23:40:22 UTC

My thought is a fairly standard system such as a Meade 10" LX200 probably wouldn`t put a lot of torque on the pier. Worst case scenario would be a Meade superwedge with a off axis guider and 35mm camera or a flip mirror system and CCD. I`ve also thought about using a field derotater instead of the wedge, but that`s a bit down the road. I may piggyback a 35mm camera at times. The pier will be shielded from the wind. There won`t be anyone in the garden shed at night. Unless I trip over the pier or bang into it, the only vibration or stress that would be implied would be that from normal telescope slewing and tracking of objects and the attachment and disattachment of accessories.

Please let me know if I`m totally wrong on this. I don`t see myself trying to use anything much bigger than a 10" SCT. Light pollution isn`t real bad in my semi-rural rapidly becoming suburban area but I would think a bigger scope would be more sensitive to the light pollution that is here. Besides, my chances of winning the lottery are miniscule.

The pier is my biggest obstacle to realizing the observatory.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins