Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: German Equatorial Mount Design

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on August 31, 2000 17:09:38 UTC

Hi Nick:

First I would build almost anything before a german equatorial. In building the ones I have, I learned a few things.

What you can not machine accurate enough needs to be adjustable. Lattitude settings and perpendicularity of the DEC and RA axis.

Spread out the areas of of moment.Where the head meets the pier. Where the RA shaft meets the DEC housing and where the DEC shaft meets the saddle. Where the head does meet the pier do not use the three finger or flange, design common among commercially made scopes ie. CAVE, OC, Astroscopics etc. Spread that contact point out to two fingers down between four fingers up Larger bearings at this points are most helpful. Use accurate bearings on the bottom ends, so while smaller they may not be cheaper.

When possible couple the drive as high up on the axises as possible. It is nice to have large worms but if mounted on the bottom of the axises they interfere with the latitude adjustment. There they are more prone to damage and tend to lose torque and accuracy.

Look for these attributes before settling on a given design.

Good Luck and Have Fun,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins