Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Nexstar 5?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Steve Brekke on August 8, 2000 05:02:22 UTC

Just bought one of these from the fine folks over
at "pocono mountain optics" (http://www.pocmtnop.com/east/index.html) and am very pleased. They are charging the standard price you will see everywhere but are including a free 70 dollar barlow with the scope and providing free shipping and handling within the lower 48 states (others wanted an extra 50-60 dollars for shipping). The way I look at it that`s equivalent to a 10% or better discount. As to the quality of the scope, yes it`s better than the mead 90/125 ETX, but don`t take my word for it surf on over to http://www.excelsis.com/vote/astro/telescopes/index.html and look at the ratings given to this scope and the meade by actual users. If you click on the telescope name in the left column the review will open up a screen showing the actual comments from user of that scope. Note the *Very* small number of instruments which rate a 9.4 or above average rating. Note the dog rating of the ETX 125 (5.7) About the only thing thats missing is a "no batteries" pure manual mode (You have to use power slewing) but with the smooth accurate power axis slewing I guess that Celestron figured that it wasn`t needed. Optical quality is rated good to excellent for a SCT scope in this aperture range.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins