Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Off-axis Parabolic Mirrors

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bas Innemee on July 19, 2000 21:02:53 UTC

Thank you Robert,
When I thought it over again, I realized that for instance a F/8 scope with off-axis mirror, is in fact part of a paraboloid with something like F/3.4 and that should introduce a tremendous amount off coma. I read some tests on the ITE site of recent introduced off-axis parabolic mirrors (made by DMG), and there the coma was not mentioned. I do not know, but it might be the case that these ITE scopes do not have a flat secondary to correct for the coma (or that the primary is compensated somehow)?
My own scope is a MN61 (20% central obstruction), and I experienced with blocking more of the primary and I feel it rather amazing what a difference that makes. Differences between 20 and 25 % are so good noticeble, that I am really wondering what the effect of 0% obstruction would be for the same scope. So, I become interested in the area where I am starting to investigate for a simple and elegant solution to avoid the obstruction.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins