Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: What Is F/10 Mean?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Glenn/">John Glenn on April 29, 1998 21:08:35 UTC

: : : : I'm about to enter the world of amature astronomy and : : : buy a new telescope. I'll probably start out in the : : : low end of things. I've been looking at Meade's 8" : : : LX10. I'm a little confused after looking at all of : : : the different telescope specs. What is focal ratio? : : : Does a larger focal ratio mean better?

: : : Thanks

: The f number or is the focal length of the mirror. For : example it you purchase a 10" diameter mirror with an F5 : focal length, the point at which the light collected by : the mirror would be focused would be 50" from the mirror. : Check out this web site: : http://wwww.tiac.net/users/atm/baffle.html

: Good seeing

The notation "f/10" is read "F Ten" and refers to the "F number" of the optical system. The definition of "F number" is the ratio of the focal length to the diameter and is directly proportional to magnification. A larger F number telescope has a larger magnification, given the same eye piece. For example, an f/10 telescope with a 6" mirror would have a 60" focal length.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins