Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Big Correction

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Anthony/">Anthony on April 28, 1998 12:20:59 UTC

: That sounds better. : I don't know if you have been getting the various : magazines that are available but there have been several different articles : in the S&T and others.

Thanks Robert

Yes, I've seen those articles and the most recent S&T. The reason I'm leaning toward a classical dome is because of the loads required when consider- ing snow, etc. We usualy get a lot of that slushy stuff here in the winter, and as you know it's very heavy stuff.

: One article went into some detail on how to do the various specific things that need to be dealt with in making a dome. : I don't remember how long ago it was but wasn't more than 2 years ago. : Being in the great wet NW area, you will, of course, need to take care of the rain and snow.

I have designed it to our building codes required here. They're pretty tough with codes here.

: That means that 1/8" hardboard probably won't work well and you will probably like to use shipboard type construction in protecting the woodwork.

I have designed to dome similar to the article in the May S&T. The only differences are the foundation supports, dome members, and exterior sheathing. I have designed this around 1/2" exterior grade ply- wood. The seams with be caulked and the dome will then be coated with a white reflective, elastic coating.

: Being cold, you will also probably like to make some effort at windproofing when the dome is closed.

I have intensions of insulating the underside of the dome with 1" styrofoam insulation.

: Also, are you tied to a dome or would a rolloff roof be better? They are a lot easier to build!

Good idea Robert, but I am cramped for space. I've checked out all the good articles on the net but they are all quite similar. A clamshell design was also considered.

: Have Fun and Keep Looking Up. Bob May

Thanks for the reply. Talk to you soon. Anthony

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins