Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Where To Get A Piece Of Ceramic Glass

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on June 6, 2000 16:56:18 UTC

BVC hardly qualifies as glass. Are you saying you want a Cervit or Zerodur glass? If not, I am firmly convinced that PYREX type glass is far far far far superior to BVC and can be had for about the same price. If you want to play around with vitrified ceramic (it doesn`t have to be black) you should be able to locate a supplier in just about any country. I have a local supplier and could have sold blanks 25yrs ago but won`t. In fact a fellow here did have one made way back when but the surface was never as smooth nor hard enough to take an excellent polish like glass.

Might I point out that after nearly a 100 years, the 2.5m Hooker Telescope on mount willsion still gives good service and is made of common Soda-glass.

Good Luck,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins