Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Any Ideas On Casting Blanks?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bill HIgdon (willard561@aol.com) on May 30, 2000 14:38:05 UTC

Steve & Co.
If you can find a library with Scientific American back to about 1940, you should be able to find an article in the Amature Scientist column from a ATM who cast his own blank during the WW 2 time. He couldn`t buy a pyrex blank, and a truck load of pyrex baking dishes wrecked close to him. So he picked up the glass from the wreck and cast his own blank. This article was also in the Amature Scientist book covering the 1940`s & 50`s. The library in Ogden UT removed it because of too many "hazardous ideas". I would recommend the article though as a good recipe from someone did it. Oh yes his mold was made out of refractory grade graphite as I remember. and he used a normal Kiln. Given the thermal mass, a good PID Temp control should work fine. I have seen these controllers used in semi-cond. manufacturing and they show up surplus all of the time.
Bill Higdon

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins