Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Truss Tube Or Sonotube

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on May 28, 2000 19:48:06 UTC

I have built a 8" Truss scope before, and I realized (for me anyhow) that after I was finished that maybe I should have gone with a tube. To me a 10" is the largest I would go with a tube design (though I did make a 13.1" tube, what a monster) Making a truss for a 8" inch is OK to "train" you in making another truss of a much larger size. Starting small is a good way to go for practice. Since you already have a 8", can`t you just save just a little longer for a larger one? Orion does (or they did recently) have 10" mirrors, but they aren`t advertised. Call them to see if they have anymore. Coulter might have 10" f/4.5 & f/5.6. Anyway, I would build a tube only because I think a 8" is too small for one. But....you can indeed build a truss for a 8" for good experience in the future in the understanding of truss design. Either way you can`t lose. Good Luck!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins