Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Fiberglas Or Carbon Fiber Tubes?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Doug Tanaka on May 12, 2000 04:33:27 UTC

Carbon fiber will be the lightest material but will be the most expensive. I think the only way you will get them is to make your own by buying the cloth and using an epoxy such as West Systems. The cloth needs to be wrapped over a form, usually a hard styrofoam, which is slightly smaller in diameter than your final dimension. Also carbon fiber needs to be layered in different directions (like plywood) for maximum strength, i.e. 0degrees, -60 degrees, +60 degrees, 0 degrees, -60 etc. for at least seven layers and possibly more. Experiment first, but my feeling would be that it should be thicker in the middle, tapering off toward the ends, or at least thicker (or larger diameter) at the mirror box. Each layer of carbon cloth and epoxy needs to set before you can add the next one. If timed right, the next layer can be put straight on, but once set hard, the layer should be wiped down with acetone and then sanded to give the next layer enough tooth to hold.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins