Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: ??How Thick Should I Go??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by X might mark the spot but... on May 6, 2000 16:15:15 UTC

it is no guarantee you will not have astigmatism. You forgot to mention that the "X" should disappear evenly, the fact that it dissapears means nothing as per ATM Vol 1-3. Also it is no guarantee that when you place the mirror into its mounting cell that it won`t have astigmatism. The blanks you mention certainly are not in the same category of "thin" as the inquirer`s 10" x 3/4"T.I know some folks have made thinner ratio mirrors using 27-36 point flotation but even then they also had twice or more thickness to transmute local loads from mounting points. I an not inclined to recommend this thin a mirror for a first project. Instead shop the Astromart or Ebay for a good blank if you can wait or shop for one from the commercial vendors. Newport by far is not the least expensive but may have just what you want.

Good Luck,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins