Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: ??How Thick Should I Go??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Stephen Campbell on May 6, 2000 11:01:34 UTC

Tony the TN!,Check this out,blanks in the somewhat medium sizes 10-14",for the cost VS.diameter and thickness the best size to go with would be the 13.1" from newport glass works, i bought one about 1.5 years ago for $172.50 it was listed as 1.5" thick but turned out to be 1.79"
thick,a 12" and 12.5" are only a few bucks less
so i went with the 13.1, a 14" the cost jumps another $100 bucks,the cost of the 13.1 undoubtedly has gone up, but still probably less than other suppliers,as far astigmatism with thin
blanks:here is how to avoid this:when fining with
a.o.30 or 25 clean blank and using a magic marker
mark an "X" across the blank and grinding tool
using circular strokes with light pressure and 1/4
diameter overhang (and of coarse the microgrit)grind in this way until the black lines
disappear completely,when this happens you`ll have
perfect contact and no astigmatism,ive never had
astigmatism using this method!,repeat this proceedure several times during the coarse of fining.oh and let the markings dry first(15-min)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins