Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The High Cost Of PYREX

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Rick Crockett on May 5, 2000 18:34:55 UTC

Anyone notice the extreme inflation in the cost of pyrex. I was just given a price for a 40" x 2.25"T from Newport that is 4x higher than five years ago. They want nearly $3300 for the same specs that was going to cost about $850 five years back. While some of the problem is price gouging by Newport a lot has to do with Corning and a fellow named Christopher Estep. It seems he has been showing Corning how good an industrial sales manager he is and has been raising prices consistantly and unwarranted over that period of time. I also understand that the same glass is being shipped over seas and sold at one fourth to one third of what it costs us (different sales manager). I have about decided to quit doing business with under 30 managers as they seem to have no morals or ethics. Any ideas of how we can get Chris fired and the prices back down?

I do have a business connection that can supply me the 40" blanks for about a thousand dollars less but he has to order enough glass for two at a time. This still seems expensive to me.

How about it you guys in Canada, England and Europe, what do you have to pay for thin 1m blanks?

Cheers,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins