Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Go For It.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on May 5, 2000 17:59:35 UTC

I too have considered casting borosilicate. I am searching for a kiln and recently passed one up that was capable of the temperature and control but was smaller than stated.

I am not sure about the Boron oxidizing out, I don`t believe it does. There are other less stable compounds that will oxidize out and it was my understanding the the melt temp. would go down with a radical increase in co-efficeint of expansion. If your assumption is correct then the glass would oxidize to quartz solidify and anneal all at 2200F and under. Many refractories use gas heating rather than electric to stablize the oxidation process.

This leaves the question of starting material. I believe if one uses the raw materials it will require a batch reactor that is stirred to obtain a homogenous mix and then poured. If one used broken PYREX then expect many bubbles and inclusions. PYREX frit is probably the method of choice but I am not sure you could save anything in the way of costs.

I am eager to hear what you figure out and can probably come up with the annealing formula once you get that far.

Good Luck,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins