Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Off Axis Optics

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Stephen Campbell on May 4, 2000 09:11:08 UTC

I have been thinking about building an off axis scope for quite a few years now, but still have not got around to it,the best designs i have seen
are the buchroeder tri-shiefspiegler which consists of a concave primary and tertiary, and
a convex secondary, all 3-mirrors have the same
R.C.,The secondary and tertiary are spheres,and the primary is about 50% corrected parabola(if i
remember correctly).
Jose Sasian also has a good design, i have not
studied the various off axis designs lately, but i do recall that surface smoothness is a very important factor with off axis scopes, i was thinking of trying submerged polishing with barnasite(the real stuff with thorium oxide)to
produce an extremely smooth surface which would be
practically free of microripple.
Search the web using key words like buchroeder
,shiefspiegler,off axis telescopes,etc. good luck!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins