Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Metrogon Lens?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jarvis Krumbein on April 23, 2000 04:40:34 UTC

The Metrogon lense is an extreme wide angle and very old design. A Metrogon with a 6" focal length will cover an area 9"x9" with virtually no loss at the extreme edges. These are WWII aireal camera lenses and available in the surplus market. They are usually stopped down to f8 to minimize astigmatism. They were originally corrected for use with black and white film and the use of a yellow filter is benificial. Their main problem is the large film format (8x10 cut film), it`s expensive and not easily found at the local camera shop. You had better be able to do your own processing. I have one that I used many years ago with good results but it`s been gathering dust for at least twenty years. If you succomb to the temptation, I wish you good luck.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins