Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Baffling Developments, And More.......

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jason Glass on April 19, 2000 17:50:04 UTC

Hi JK,
I use Newt25 for my calculations and have had wonderful results in my 8" f/5. One problem with baffled Newtonians is with air currents inside the tube. As warmer air rises along the tube wall the baffles can cause turbulence and drive the moving air into the optical path, thus causing distortion of the image. I decided to use the adhesive backed flocked black paper available from Protostar(www.fpi-protostar.com). This stuff is far tougher than you would imagine paper could be, and works extremely well as baffling. It does take some practice to line the tube, however, so get extra if you decide to use it. You can also stick it on any reflective components inside the tube for far more effective blackout than paint. Once you install the stuff, vaccum out your tube with a brush before you install your optics, to prevent fuzz from getting on your mirrors. If you don`t touch it very much it won`t shed any more fuzz. I hope this helps. -Jason

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins