Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Newtons Rings

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert May on April 15, 1998 12:09:56 UTC

Now I understand what you are saying. When you press the master surface against the tested surface, the rings go to the center! This happens when the radius has gotten too large. The air gap is larger in the middle than at the edge. This means that there are more wavelengths of light between the two surfaces. When the rings go away and become less then the surfaces are being bent to a more similar radius. This is typical for grinding because the center tends to hold unbroken grains better. If you are only 2 half (each ring is a half wavelength) waves from what you want, you are very close to what you want. One thing that I don't understand is what you are striking the convex surface against. Is it the polishing surface that you are using or is it another surface that you have already made for a reference? If it is the former, then you have absolutly no idea of where your actual curve is unless you do a full test on it before using it as a reference. I would do a startest at this time and see if the optics is good enough. Yes, a bright star will reflect enough to do a star test with. I have split the double double with a 6" at riverside that hadn't been silvered yet. It was a mirror that I helped Bob Geoff grind and polish one year at the conference. If you're going there, I will be having a 4.25" F44 scope there. Have Fun and Keep Looking Up. Bob May

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins