Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
35" CAPACITY GRINDER/POLISHER

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Stephen Campbell on April 13, 2000 10:05:26 UTC

I am currently about 70% done constructing a 35"
capacity grinding/polishing machine,unfortunately
i could not find a pulley larger than 14" diameter
so im using two 14`s ,a 3/4 hp ac motor with a 1.5", and a 4" pulley driving a 14" with a 1.5 on that spindle to another 14" produces 19.8 rpm for
polishing,and changing to the 4" to 14" and 1.5" to 14" produces 52.8 rpm for grinding,im planning on adding an eccentric overarm.whould anyone have
any suggestions as to the ideal polishing/grinding
rpm and the eccentric arm strokes per minute,i know a factor is the size of the mirror,for example ive seen bob goff figuering a 16" which
rotated at about 30 rpm and the eccentric arm oscillating at 1 stroke per second.
im wandering too if 3/4 hp motor is enough power to push a 20+ inch mirror across a 20+ inch lap
continuously for hours on end without wearing out
in a short amount of time,the pillow blocks are
heavy duty with 1" blower shafts,and im using caster wheels under the turntable to relieve stress on the primary spindle.
stevec

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins