Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Time Will Tell

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on April 5, 2000 18:05:00 UTC

The Big mirrors are Ceramitized after polishing. Ceramitizing locks the glass into a crystal structure so it is more stable but also more delicate. By grinding into a Crystal structure, new stresses may be introduced. That would be a bad thing but may not happen at all. I have repeatedly tried to get answers from places such as Newport, as to what "precision" means vs "fine" anneal. The latter is quite acceptable for any application I know of so is "precision" just hype to get that extra dollar from the yuk yuks with bucks? If I were to pay extra for a feature in glass, I certainly would want to be able to quantify and qualify. How does one tell the difference between "fine" anneal and "precision". It could mean Newport just slops off "course" annealed for "fine" and now needs to call "fine", "precision".

My recommendation would be to check for strain after polishing. If necessary, the blank could be re-annealed and then finished as a worst case.

Good Luck,
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins