Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Strange Polarizer Test - Strain Or Not?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by hudginsclan@mindspring.com on March 30, 2000 06:08:55 UTC

Steve Swayze is currently getting ready to grind a mirror for me. Before starting in, he had a look at the blank with a pair of polarizers to look for signs of strain in the glass. His observation was rather strange. I reproduce his message below:

*snip*
"It looks like a nice piece of glass, but I have some concern. I put the polarizers on either side of it, and in places around the edge, the
darkening affect from the polarizers, doesn`t happen. As I turn the polarizers to each other, they darken, but the light still comes through
the mirror. It doesn`t darken like the polarizers do. On a good blank, the glass doesn`t normally change what the polarizers are doing. This is
all I know about what`s going on. The bad blanks I`ve seen, have real funny bands, or loops, or streaks showing up inside when the polarizers are
placed on either side of the glass. This one is different in that respect. What it`ll do, is unknown to me. We just have to grind and polish, and hope to God we don`t see any astigmatism. I`ve seen blanks with funny bands or stripes in them, and they perform great. Others, not so lucky. I don`t like seeing anything unusual. I`ll plan on just moving ahead with it, and we`ll find out I guess."
*snip*

Anybody have any thoughts?

Doug

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins