Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Maybe Not At All.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on March 28, 2000 19:43:27 UTC

Hi Thad:

Actually there are a lot of elements to consider including size, thickness and glass type. While you may want to leave room for a fan, I would not reccomend installing one until you have confirmed that the conditions under typical use warrant one.

I prefer to stay as far away from moving air as possible. This just asks for dust and a fan moving air generates extra static that will cause the metalized coating to suck dust. My 22" truss never seemed to need a fan while smaller solid tube scopes did need some venting at least at the start of viewing. I too would prefer to pull out but because the air around the feet is more likely to be disturbed and dusty. The edges normally cooly faster than the center and pulling out will increase this effect. Probably still Ok with full thickness PYREX or better but thin PPG may require you to blow in. Just flip the fan and experiment would be my suggestion.

Good Luck
-Rick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins