Back to Home

ATM Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Amateur Telescope Making | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Walt Hamler And Telescopes:

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rick Crockett on March 25, 2000 08:50:13 UTC

Well then Hi again:

I have just found a proceedings from that convention this week.. It seems to me that you had made some telescopes before but I wasn`t sure. There are no dark skies in So. Cal. any more. Palomar is the Darkest and I can read a newspaper at midnight of new moon while leaning against any side of the 200" observatory. Used to be so dark that it was hard to tell were the edge of the slit ended and the sky began. Kids today can`t understand when I tell them that you could hold your hand up to the sky and a friend couldn`t tell how many fingers you had sticking out. I ocasionally go out to the desert with one group or another and they think it is dark. One group goes to the Little Blair Valley in the Anza Borrego Desert behind and below thw Quyamacas. San Diego runs more than half the sky until about 10:15 when bang, half the lights seem to go out. You can read your watch by the glow from El Centro to the East, Hement and Palms Springs to the North and North -East. I have a near midnight photo of Palomar Mountain sillouetted by the lights of Temecula Rancho California and Hemet. The heavy agriculture has but so much moisture in the air and along with smog the light of towns 60 miles away ruin the sky for photography, especially wide and deep.

Just helping your home sickness.

Clear Skies

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins